Today is the Day of Action for Net Neutrality. It was last up for debate in 2014 and ultimately the FCC ruled to preserve it.
However, that was then.
It’s a whole different world today.
Why do I care? Why should you?
Net Neutrality is incredibly important for small business owners. It’s expensive enough to develop and maintain your website.
What if you had to pay even more to make sure your customers could access it? Currently ISPs can’t play favorites with specific websites making some fast and others slow (or even blocked). Nor can they make the website owners pay extra fees to ensure access.
Yes, there are other additional factors that might make a specific site slow (and if that’s true for your business site, let’s talk) however net neutrality makes sure that potential customers get to your site at the same speed no matter their ISP. What happens once they get there, that’s up to you.
What can you do?
There are three simple things you can do.
2. Make your voice heard.
3. Spread the word.
Really! It’s easy!
Learn about Net Neutrality
- John Oliver (warning: language) in 2014 and updated for 2017
- Vimeo Why we need net neutrality
- Comcast May Have Found a Major Net Neutrality Loophole (Wired)
- Google, Twitter and dozens of other sites are taking a ‘net neutrality day of action.’ Here’s what that means. (Washington Post)
- Tech firms unite for ‘net neutrality’ protest (BBC News)
- Verizon’s mobile video won’t count against data caps—but Netflix does (Ars Technica)
- HOW WE WON! (Battle for the net)
- The internet is eff’d (again) [warning language] (The Verge)
- The FCC’s Net Neutrality Order Protects Internet Freedom by Restoring the Law (Medium)
- If Trump Fans Love Freedom, They Should Love Net Neutrality (Wired)
Make your voice heard
John Oliver registered gofccyourself.com which redirects to https://www.fcc.gov/ecfs/search/proceedings?q=name:((17-108)). Then click +Express to leave your comment.
Here are some other tools that NYPL gathered to make it easy to send letters to the FCC:
- Tell the FCC to Save Net Neutrality (via American Library Association)
- Dear FCC, Save Net Neutrality (via Electronic Frontier Foundation)
- Make your voice heard: Stand up for net neutrality. (via Mozilla Foundation)
- Two Million Strong for Net Neutrality(via SaveTheInternet.com)
- Tell the FCC: Keep the Internet Free (from ACLU Action)
Help spread the word
Go to your favourite social media and search for #NetNeutrality and share ! Send an email to your mastermind group. Call your cousin.